From Grocery & Staples to Personal Care and Beverages, India’s growing fervor for shopping groceries online was all time high during the recently concluded 9 day long sale – Grand Orange Bag Days. With record breaking numbers, India’s biggest sale in online grocery segment by Grofers hit 207.52 Crore GMV with 14 Lakh visits on the app every day during the sale days.
Aligned with its aim to drive the next wave of growth for e-commerce sector, the sale which allowed consumers to shop everything at 100% cash back [up to Rs. 5000], got 2.5 Lakh new consumers to buy groceries online for the very first time.
Here is a peek into which state spent the highest and on what they loved shopping the most.
Which city ordered what?
- Atta, Tea and Ghee emerged as the most sold products in Delhi NCR
- Lucknow ordered the most number of Almonds, Atta and Detergent Powder
- Cottonseed Oil and Gel Toothpaste got great attention from Ahmedabad
- Mumbaikars and Punekars loved shopping for Almonds, Coconut oil & Butter
- Bengaluru showed great excitement for Ghee and Rice, while Hyderabad preferred Sunflower Oil, Rice, and Atta the most
- Ghee, Detergent Powder and Health Drinks witnessed maximum numbers of orders from Chennai
- Atta, Coconut Oil and Tea were Kolkata’s favourite products
Cities that spent the most
- Delhi shopped groceries worth a whopping 85.8 Crore
- Mumbai got second in the race with a score of 35.8 Crore
- Bengaluru was not far behind, as the city shopped worth 28.2 Crore
- Kolkata spent 15 Crore on their groceries during the sale
- Hyderabad and Chennai shopped for 8.9 Crore and 3.9 Crore respectively
Categories and Products that took center stage
- The country reiterated its passion for tea with over 1.32 lac units of tea sold
- India’s unconditional love for all things sweet stood strong as over 3 Lac sugar packets and over 85 thousand packets of cookies were sold
- Grocery & Staples, Beverages, Personal Care and Household Needs ranked as top categories for online grocery shopping during the sale
The above findings are derived from the order analysis for Grofers ‘Grand Orange Bag Days’ sale, which started from 19th January through 27th January, 2019. The sale was operational across all 13 Grofers markets such as Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Chennai, Delhi, Gurgaon, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Kanpur, Kolkata, Lucknow, Noida, Mumbai and Pune.